External Hard Disk

edited September 2010 in Sonstiges
Hallo,
first of all please forgive me for writing in English, German is still a bit complicated for me. I've been reading some issues of your magazine and always been astonished how proficient and serious it is.

I'm looking for a good external hard disk to store data such as photos and HD video footage. I used a 1TB Western Digital My Book Studio but after a few months it began to behave erratically (wouldn't show up on my desktop, frequent disconnections, transfer rates too slow, heat going up and so on). I managed to save most of my data (the rest was lost) and bought a 2TB My Book Studio II. That was just one and a half month ago. And now again, it freezes all the time, I have to restart my PC two or three times before the disk appears, and the transfer rates are even worse than before : for some light files (say, five or six 1MB JPGs) it works fine, but when I have to transfer large amounts of data like 30GB of photos or film, then it drops to 1mb/second or even less, and sometimes freezes.

I don't want to buy Western Digital again. My question is : what HDs do you use? What do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

OS I'm running : Windows 7 x64
Connections : FireWire 400, USB 2.0. I have yet to try eSata.

Kommentare

• edited Januar 1970

Re: External Hard Disk

Hello,

I've read your posting with curiosity, as I use the same 1TB WD hard disk drive. I have similar problems with the connection issue - it does show up in my finder, but allegedly is not connected. Nevertheless, if I select it, it will ask me to connect, and will do so automatically some seconds later, even if I don't do anything. I have never had problems with the transfer rate, though, neither with heat. It never freezes through huge data transfers, neither does other things it shouldn't. I believe my connection 'problem' stems more from the fact that I use it in a network with another machine.

Have you contacted WD to explain your problem? If you state such issues, they should be able to help you. BTW, my other external HD is a TEAC, which has been running smoothly for at least 3-4 years now.
Anmelden oder Registrieren, um zu kommentieren.